View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM

This is not a criticism, so please don't take it that way - but it always mystifies me when I hear parents talk about their high school age children choosing their careers. Why does a 10th-grader need to know what career to pursue? Seems to me to be such an enormous expectation! A co-worker of mine and her daughter have been through so much stress in the past few months about her daughter getting into college, and the early admissions process - and the girl is barely 16! When I told her I thought the Australians and Kiwis had a better system, she looked at me like she wanted to kill me - after a kid graduates high school, they take a year to backpack and travel the world before going to college. So they get to see life in different parts of the world and figure out what they want to do. I will never understand wh a high school kid NEEDS to go to college immediately after graduating high school.

Plus, I see nothing wrong with just starting with general college studies and letting the college experience inform them and help shape their choices - I am glad I was never pressured to choose a career back when I was 15 or 16 (not that you're pressuring your daughter, but I am thinking more of my coworker who was really pressuring hers). I switched careers many times in my life and have no regrets - that is just who I am. I like variety and following my different interests as I see fit. Maybe your daughter is of a similar bent and doesn't feel a need to be locked into any one occupation for the rest of her life right now. I wonder why in today's world, a kid can't just be a kid in high school, developing psychologically, emotionally, and simply focus on building common sense skills for living without targeting a specific career?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 05-30-2014 at 12:16 AM.