View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
You mean you've never met someone who misrepresents themselves in person?
You know, I fairly recently encountered someone who fits that description. It took me a few months of fairly consistent face-to-face time before I could no longer not see the mask slipping. It might have easier to fantasize for longer if the relationship was online or long-distance. But I saw how they moved through the world, how they treated others, how they responded to spontaneous situations, and I realized that what this person said and what they did weren't synched.

Quote:
How many people have found out some deep secret about their life partner, and come to realize that they never knew them at all?
You just reminded me of another interesting show, "Who the Bleep Did I Marry?" about people who find they married a serial killer or dated a guy who kept girls in the basement. So yes, it happens IRL too.

But so much communication is non-verbal. Body language, voice tone. I would argue we even send each other messages through smell, and we certainly do through touch. Without face-to-face l contact, or with very minimal such contact, you're missing a large piece of the puzzle.