View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
Your missing the point, which is, just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter.
Says who?

Why should I care what matters to other people?

They're already poly, and that matters to a lot of people too. I don't see them internalizing the belief that their relationship is wrong because it goes against society's monogamous rules. I don't see them breaking up just because Pink's family doesn't accept stevie.

All that "matters," as in the grand scheme of things that affect my life on a daily basis, is "what matters to me."

Every day, all over the world, there are people doing all kinds of things that elicit negative responses from other people. And every day, people are saying "I don't care what you think, I'm gonna do it anyway." Yeah sure, SOME people internalize those responses and change their behaviour. But it's not ubiquitous enough that you can say with any certainty that this particular group will internalize those beliefs just because "society" tells them to.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."