View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
However, the comments on the article turned into a lot of pontificating by people who don't have kids about how parents are soooo afraid their kids can't handle it nowadays, and they should do this that and the other thing, and I pretty much saw red.

Yeah, I'd like my kids to be able to do what I did, but the system (at least in suburbia) doesn't allow for it. Nobody's home after school to go visit, and god forbid you be the BAD PARENT - the school has more rigid rules (no walking to school if there are no sidewalks, even though you can see the school from your bedroom window), you're really not supposed to leave your kids alone anymore (neglect), etc. The media does a great job of sensationalizing the CPS horror stories, or the "child walking alone gets assaulted" stories, and the atmosphere is now completely different. People are afraid of running afoul of the system and losing their kids if the fuck up (even if it's not reasonable), or just succumb to peer pressure from the other parents, and thus toe the new line.

And while I love discussion and debate like this, Facebook isn't the place for it. People preach to their own choirs with infographics and sound/video bites, and just want to see what they believe. I've only commented once on a political post, and it was because I couldn't take the WRONGNESS of it anymore. So yeah, I got tetchy when a bunch of non-parents pontificated about how people should be raising kids these days.

And here I go, starting up the podcast. Here's hoping it's a snoozer!

Edited to add:
Okay, I'm less tetchy after Xena and I actually had a decent discussion/debate on FB. Some good discourse, some interesting opinions, and yes, some agreement between us. I love discussions like that, and not just the "parents need to raise their kids better" rants coming from people without kids. That stuff drives me mental. Obviously. Wow, was I torqued.
Yeah, that kind of thing annoys me too. Prior to having a sticky- faced and fingered menace of my own, I would sometimes see parents who were just downright lazy or dragging their babies around like fashion accessories, but mostly I thought parents were saints and wondered how on earth they managed.

We have similar problems with our media, in that only very bad stories about child protection services get reported. This means that the concensus among UK parents is that they will use any little excuse to accuse you of child abuse and take your children away from you. It's the main reason for my occasional poly wobble. Although my rational side says that surely my lovelife is none of their business as long as I am doing everything to make sure that my son is safe and loved.

But yeah, totally relate to you on the above point that you made.

RiverRose