Thread: Wide Awake
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Official Greeter

No criticism/reminders from me, FWIW. I can see there is a risk involved in attempting to adopt, in that the adoption may be rejected by the board for whatever reasons (and we all have reasons why an adoption board could reject us -- I certainly do). I think you chose to foster/adopt because your heart said yes and your mind said, "I think we can do this."

And the same goes for dieting issues. My issue is that I weigh "too much" (compared to what is considered "normal"). Sure I could do better about diet and exercise (not that I do horrible), but there's a limit to how much you can worry about such things and still live a life that is happy (or at least tolerable) for you. I should give up sugar for Lent but I know I'd never follow through with that commitment. I just know me. Regimentation goes over like a lead brick. I do much better (internally at least) when I make intuitive decisions as I go along.

So okay, some of us are curvaceous, others are light on the scale. This is not a problem, it is called diversity. As long as you don't starve yourself to death, I'll not concern myself with the details of what you eat (or don't eat). Take care of yourself, your husband, and your kids, and you will be fine.

As for class warfare and its euphemistic relatives, it makes me feel much better when people respect each other's lot in life whatever that may be. Last time I checked money is only important when you're so bad off you're living on the streets not knowing where your next meal will come from. Since I am much better off than that, I don't begrudge you a few perks in life, especially given the highly-valued occupations you and Matt are engaged in. In fact I am gratified that you don't talk down to me at all. I know some people would let their high status go to their head. You don't and I commend you for it.

Perhaps it's because I'm rather me-centric, but the truth of the matter is I'll seldom pass judgment without an insidious pattern of unmitigated, unwarranted, personal provocation. Since you have never been anything but courteous and kind towards me, I am inclined to return the favor.

You will have more challenges in your life I'm sure. We all do. We all need "the help of the gods" from time to time. It is not a perfect world. Like Job, you can have a great deal in life on one day, then lose it all the next. And if you're like me, you end up hurting people in your life as well. Do the best you can to make up for the bad and don't be afraid to hope for the good. That's my vote anyway.