View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
The idea of a single-family-home is a relatively new idea, cooked up in more recent times, during and post-industrial revolution. Ironically, everyone considers the nuclear family to be 'traditional' today but that is far from the truth.

The majority of the world and the majority of history shows that human homes tend to be extended, multigenerational dwellings or some other form of cohabitation. Running a household with only 2 adults and however many children is going to be stressful. It can take 2 adults just to run a home without children!

From a strictly mathematical standpoint, it makes sense to have more than two adults in a home. More labor hours per day means more income and more homemaking and more childrearing.
Absolutely. When my STBX and I visited his family in Northern Spain, all his relatives lived with their extended families. We never met anyone who lived on their own or had a house to themselves. His mother's cousin had three daughters, all married and each of them lived on their own floor of this 4-story- house with their families. I was surprised to learn that in Spain the husband takes the wife's surname and usually moves in with her and her parents. This was the year 2000, though for Americans it seems so 1940s.

Where I grew up, the suburbs, we had lots of Italian-American families in 2-family homes, with cousins and/or in-laws living with them. The inside joke was that you could always tell who was Italian because they had a second kitchen and pantry in the basement.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 03-23-2014 at 11:38 PM.