View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I worked with a guy from Colombia years ago who moved his mom up once he was able to purchase his house for he and his new wife. He got a place with an extra room and it was the plan from the start. I was stunned and it took me a while to realize that this was simply the norm for his society and nothing more.
After my divorce, my mother was going through some health issues that made me consider finding a place that would allow her to move in with me. While we'd probably have driven each other crazy (before the first week was up!), it never came to pass (the combination of meds that caused the stroke symptoms was changed).

Moving elderly parents into a household is pretty standard as well, and leads to a lot of home additions and inlaw apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
People who need to save money do so by cutting costs on things according to their own list of priorities. If I determine I can't make ends meet my first solution is to find a roommate. This is a very normal thing to do (evidence: Craigslist). People who have families are probably less likely to take on a roommate as their first choice because there are so many more variables (children, mortgages, etc) and that is saying nothing of the social stigma associated with it. A family combining with another family would be even MORE of a clusterfuck and I can see why people wouldn't jump at the opportunity.
Yup. OP, it really depends on the people and their priorities.

After my divorce, I could have cut costs by getting a rental and/or a roommate. I chose neither. Buying a foreclosure made it financially easier, and I got to have my home to myself and my kids (and now, my partner). I had roommates in school and while I love people, I don't EVER want another roommate again. I want to cook what I want, when I want, vacuum when I want, watch what I want on TV (or NOT watch if I so choose) without having to feel like I need to run up to my room to be in "my" space. Nope, nope, nope. My home, my space. Oh, and I got a couple cats without having to clear it with anyone.

Having to find a roommate I trusted around my kids? Nope.

Granted, there were no other families in the area that (A) I was compatible with in a live-together way, or (B) were also looking for a place to live, but I wouldn't have chosen that option. Too many people under one roof would drive YouAreHere CRAY-CRAY.

So yes, OP, finding a roommate is something that anyone who shared a place as a teen/twenty-something is aware of, but not always something one wants. If they want a roomie, they know where to look. If they're looking to move in with a *family*, that's a really tall order. Maybe they ought to be friends with such a family first.
Xena: Chops' other partner, Poly. In a relationship with Shaggy
Choplet: Chops' son
Noa, City, CheeseGirl, Curls: In relationships with Chops
Shaggy: Poly, in a relationship with Xena, ex of Bunny

External blog || Local blog