View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I worked with a guy from Colombia years ago who moved his mom up once he was able to purchase his house for he and his new wife. He got a place with an extra room and it was the plan from the start. I was stunned and it took me a while to realize that this was simply the norm for his society and nothing more.

In less financially stable countries I understand that it is common for families to combine where multiple different branches of the family life together because it's "normal" because it was necessary.

In the US it is less socially acceptable to live in groups and is generally stigmatized as a commune/hippy type situation. In my opinion this is one reason you don't see groups flocking to live together even if it would make the most financial sense... fear of doing anything against social norm.

I would tend to agree with you that social norms do not promote people to see out group living situations

What you are describing is something very specific and it is unlikely that there will ever be census data on such a thing. People who need to save money do so by cutting costs on things according to their own list of priorities. If I determine I can't make ends meet my first solution is to find a roommate. This is a very normal thing to do (evidence: Craigslist). People who have families are probably less likely to take on a roommate as their first choice because there are so many more variables (children, mortgages, etc) and that is saying nothing of the social stigma associated with it. A family combining with another family would be even MORE of a clusterfuck and I can see why people wouldn't jump at the opportunity.

I'm not convinced that there is anything particularly enlightened about polyamorous people when it comes to bringing their family into a roommate or multiple family living situation. The number of variables is roughly the same, though an argument could be made that there are more to deal with for a poly family/group.

Yes, I do agree that people cutting costs will be guided by their own priorities, makes total sense. As for poly people and co-habitation, I think the argument can be made either way. On one hand, you have your argument that suggests it would be more complicated for poly people to live together, which might be true; however, conversely, poly people choosing to live together do not have the same pressure from social norms as monogamous people. They have already leaped over that relatively big hurdle of social norms that discourages monogamous families from considering such a living situation.

I am sure it would be complicated, just like anything else though. I might have been overgeneralizing that the push needs to come from poly because they are more opening and accepting. But, since they have dealt with the social norm obstacle, it seems plausible that a push from that might be a bit easier to rally & gain support

If you think a mantle needs to be taken up to increase family cohabitation then I hereby grant you full authority to take to the streets and spread the good word!
I am still evaluating the idea. I certainly think there is some benefits to the thought, but practicality is the ultimate deciding factor. So, can it be done? I am not sure. When I read the question on Beyondtwo's profile, it did grab my attention and obviously someone else has at least given some thought to the idea.