Thread: First Date
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish View Post
What you've described is where the rubber meets the road. Actually living through what you've said, theoretically, you can handle.
Quote:
The best advice I can give you is that you need to get your own stuff going on in life and try to become as independent as you can. Take the relationship for what it's worth and what you get. Don't be afraid to voice if you aren't getting what you need out of the relationship, but don't make it an ultimatum. Either you're getting what you want or you aren't. Once your partner knows that, they can either decide they want to adjust their behavior or they don't. It's as simple as that.
Quote:
I wish you both well. I know it's not easy.
I should probably add that my partner is married, so it's not exactly "theoretical" (not that I think you should be a mind reader).

It's more of:

1) This is the first time he's been out on a date, since he gave up casually dating girls he wasn't really that into (i.e. hooking up). (Please note, I'm not actually worried that he's really into this girl, not that I would mind. But that isn't an issue I'll be confronted with yet).
2) It's literally been two years. I kind of got used to us only going on dates with other people together (that is, him, me, and the other girl).

I do appreciate your advice, though. Actually the reason he's going on a date with her, is I told him I couldn't make it due to family obligations. He understood, and of course asked another girl out (which made me feel good, actually). Part of the reason he's dating more, is I'm less and less available, and he's forced to make new relationships, or spend a lot of time alone.