View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers View Post
Hey Mags-
I second the thanks for the book links. This is a topic I've meant to read up on, but haven't yet gotten around to. It's nice to have some ideas of places to start. If you have any more suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Well, go ahead and read all Elaine Pagels' books

everything by Bart Ehrman, starting with Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why

Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism by John Spong (retired Anglican bishop)

Then read the entire New Annotated Oxford Bible; it's full of essays, translates Hebrew and Greek properly, tons of footnotes, admits when we do not know the meaning of a Hebrew word, comments on Bibical writing styles, politics of ancient times, tribal customs, shows evidence of who wrote each book of the Bible when, etc etc.

Then read The Jesus Mysteries: Was the original Jesus a Pagan God? by Freke and Gandy

Also I recommend The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity by MacCoby, who proposed it was Paul that invented Christianity, not Jesus. After all, half the NT is attributed to Paul, and the books he didnt write that are attributed to him are evidence of his power and the respect he commanded.

I've read many other books on historical criticism, but those should hold you for a while.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place. --Shaw

me: Mags, female, pansexual, 59, loving and living with
miss pixi, female, pansexual, 37
I am in a somewhat new relationship with Luka