View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyinPractice View Post
However, it appears to be more usual for people to go through the usual monogamous dating/engaged/married pattern-- and THEN discover that they're poly.
Perhaps on a board like this one, or in poly get-togethers, it seems that way, but what a small cross-section of society these represent! I would not assume that what gets posted here is "the usual" about people in general - it's just what's usual about people who choose to post about their lives on internet forums focused on polyamory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyinPractice View Post
Chances of a person discovering they're poly BEFORE they are married/engaged/committed are rare.
I disagree.

It's much more common and acceptable for single people to want non-exclusivity in relationships and to date more than one person than it is for married people. Whether they call themselves poly is a moot point - besides the fact that not everyone views poly as an identity or "wiring," a lot of people have multiple relationships without ever using the word "polyamorous" to describe them or themselves. Some have never even heard of the term.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 02-15-2014 at 09:31 PM.