View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Why wouldn't they?

It's an odd question, as if only married people would logically be poly. I would think it's more natural for single people to be poly and less natural for married folk, in a society that is predominantly monogamous, since all it means is having more than one relationship. Is it because you're married that you wonder why? The question doesn't make sense to me, but...

My answer: single polyfolk don't feel the need to limit themselves when it comes to loving relationships, just like anyone else who feels the same way. What's marital status got to do with it, anyway?
I agree with you, nycindie, as a "single" person (oh, don't you love the semantics of poly?), I don't see why I wouldn't be poly. Or mono. Or whatever felt comfortable for me.

However, it appears to be more usual for people to go through the usual monogamous dating/engaged/married pattern-- and THEN discover that they're poly. Monogamy is something everyone knows about; poly is something you generally stumble into. I might like mangosteen sorbet better than chocolate ice cream, but I'm probably not initially going to be, "Yep, I'm a mangosteen kind of person." How would I even know that flavor exists?

Chances of a person discovering they're poly BEFORE they are married/engaged/committed are rare. So the idea of a single person wanting to be poly might confuse a lot of people.

Last edited by nycindie; 02-15-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote formatting