View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
I didnt know it was illegal to have a "hand-fasting" ceremony while legally married to someone else. First time I heard that!
It depends on the jurisdiction of course, but nearly all the states and provinces in N.America have bans on multiple marriages, and for this purpose define marriage as either living together in a conjugal-like relationship (i.e. living together while having sex and sharing bills and being in a romantic relationship), or having a wedding-like ceremony. As hand-fasting, along with Mormon church ceremonies etc, is a wedding-like ceremony, it's technically forbidden.

Then of course, there's "what's illegal" and then there's "what's technically illegal but no one really cares." Unless you live somewhere crazy, it's unlikely to attract enough attention to get you in trouble. However, if you're a secret mob boss and they're looking for something to get you with, you could face a $10,000 fine and/or time in prison.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."