View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
Along the same train of thought, is it standard practice for new posters to be discouraged from starting new threads? I find it extreamy dissmissive and off putting to ask a question or start a thread only to be brushed off and told to do a search on the topic.
No one is discouraged from posting a new topic. If you're referring to some of my posts which include links to existing threads, I simply encourage people to do a search and see what's here already. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't post new threads. Most forums to which I have belonged do ask members to search first before posting. However, it's not a requirement here (hell, we know most folks never even bother to read the Guidelines). <sigh>

This forum is a goldmine of information and it seems a waste if people don't at least make an effort to find previous discussions on a topic. It doesn't matter how old the threads are - there have been a lot of problems, situations, and interesting questions posted here, and much wisdom shared here over the years - why shouldn't we encourage new members to take advantage of that? That's why we tag discussions - so they can be found again at a later point by doing a Tag Search. Furthermore, it's always a good idea to get in the habit of adding Tags to threads, your own and other people's, for this very reason.
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.