Thread: Why hide?~
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Actually, with my job it's the OPPOSITE of that: my job requires a "secret" security clearance and if I "hide" ANYTHING not-related to my job: any one could use this some thing that I am "hiding" to "blackmail" me and thus making me a "security-risk", I could lose my job for that.~

The more "potentially-damaging" the information to me, in other words the more I "DON'T want people to know about it", the higher a "security-risk" I am.~

So in actuality, it's better if I am open about every thing that I am and do especially if it is not "mainstream".~

I understand the fear of having every one "know" about who you are and what you do, and the potential "dangers" that come with that, but it is simply paranoia to believe that EVERY SINGLE PERSON, children INCLUDED in the situation, who has EVER "publicly-announced" that they are "polyamorous" have been treated badly.~
Well, no, not exactly.

You're a security risk if it's potentially damaging to the country, not so much to you.

Coming back from the Philippines with a new wife you never told anyone about? Yeah, THAT made for some fun days for a coworker of mine.

"Adverse information" is something that someone can hold over you and make you a security threat (via blackmail or extortion or the like), OR is information that shows that you're a loose cannon and/or not trustworthy (alcoholism, drug addiction), OR something else that shows you'd be susceptible to bribery (financial troubles). It's also occasionally things that are GOOD for you (coming into unexplained wealth) because, hey, maybe they're selling secrets.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of military folks (disclaimer: I don't think I know any personally, but I've seen threads and the like) who keep their poly relationships hush-hush due to adultery clauses. That's a tough line because on the one hand, they could lose their jobs. On the other hand, they could lose their clearance and, therefore, their jobs. Yuck.

Oh, and you might want to not go shouting that you have a clearance over a public, international message board. Just sayin'.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk