View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 AM

Default Blood work

My bloodwork came back last week, and it looks pretty inconclusive on the testosterone levels / insulin uptake front. I'm going to have to sit down with my doctor again and see what all of this means regarding my weight issues. We might be looking in the wrong direction.

What we did find is that my vitamin D levels are way too low, and my cholesterol is astonishingly high. I've never had cholesterol issues before, but now that I think of it, I shouldn't be so surprised.

Since December I've been working my retail management job in the next state over. I got moved due to corporate politics, and my 10 minute street commute became a 45 minute highway commute. There is also more foot-traffic at this store than the previous one, and it feels like there is three times as much work to do at any given moment. My stress levels are out of control, and I've been finding that this, combined with the steep rise in road time, has lead to me eating entirely too much fast food. I really need to cut that out.

The good news is that seeing my cholesterol results has made me highly conscious of what I'm eating. When approached with the prospect of eating fatty or greasy foods, I'm severely put off. I haven't quite made it to the point where "healthy" foods seem entirely enticing. Basically, nothing sounds good to me and I'm forcing myself to eat.

Bad news is that I'm also becoming heartily aware of the eating habits of those around me, namely Alex and Jenny. Alex loves buffets, and always wants to go to them. I'll see him pile up plate after plate. The three of us went to a buffet the other night, and I'm the only one who went to the salad bar or chose to eat any green vegetables off the hot food line. Alex routinely asks me out to late-night breakfasts at a 24-hour diner. We order in pizza, or get fast food. Furthermore, neither of them cooks much. Their kitchen is filled with sandwich meats, easy-mac, frozen dinners, and sodas. Each of them is well over 300 lbs, Jenny is pre-diabetic and already developing arthritis, Alex has had gout and doesn't sleep well due to severe apnea. I don't know if they're not conscious of what they're consuming, or if they just don't entirely care. I love them both, and I hate to see this happening to them--and it's also a scary wake-up call for what I have to look forward to in the next 10 years if I don't manage to drop some weight.

I don't want to cause waves or anything. I don't want to critique their eating habits like a holier-than-thou, mothering type. I'm just trying hard to make a positive change in my life, and I want the people I love to support me and strive for their own health too.

It's scary to think of what can happen to us if we don't.