I find it interesting that you post this:
She is communicating with a couple of men on OKC who are aware that she’s poly oriented and looking, but neither are Pagan so will guess that these will remain casual.
Both her Norse Heathen group and Druid Grove know of her poly intentions and support her search. We’ll see if anything develops as a result.
it is difficult for me to comprehend how significant it is for her to experience her’s with not just friends but an actual lover and wonder if anyone could comment on as she’s struggled to convey this to me?
Just to double check because I'm not hearing it clearly -- where does your OWN consent to practice polyshipping stand?
Are YOU willing/able to participate in a polyship with your wife? Are you along for the ride? You don't much mention yourself. It's all "one of the gaps she identified... she wants this... etc."
Do you AGREE that is a gap in the shared marriage? Or a gap in her individual preference that affects the shared marriage? I am confused as to what YOUR preferences might be for yourself as an individual or for the shared marriage. What are they?
What is your current agreements? What is changing/changed?
- What open model relationship is she suggesting?
- Will you also be dating?
- Is that a relationship shape in which YOU can thrive in?
Because it doesn't really matter "why" she wants to polyship at this point in time. It could be nice to know. But WHAT she does in her behavior and HOW she does it affects you more.
Right now? I'm not getting a strong sense that your consent to participate in a polyship was given. Could you be willing to clarify that?
1) Has she asked
you if you are willing/able to participate in a polyship arrangement with her? Or not asked you at all and you need help telling her how you want to be treated?
2) Are you considering it and need help weighing pros/cons?
3) Have you given it and need help figuring out how to put it into practice?
4) Are you adjusting to the "new normal" now that you have given it and need help navigating that transition?
It's hard to tell which point in time you are at here and give you feedback.
Because what you ask here....
Since my own Spiritual path has become effectively solitary (and is difficult for me to label or easily express), it is difficult for me to comprehend how significant it is for her to experience her’s with not just friends but an actual lover and wonder if anyone could comment on as she’s struggled to convey this to me?
I cannot understand why she wants to do this. She's struggled to explain to me and I do not get it. Can you guys explain why she wants this to me in a way I can understand?
My suggestion would be to stop asking WHY she wants to do this at this point in time. Just accept that she DOES want to do this at this point in time.
Move on to examine the rest of the question and move your thought process forward
rather than keeping it in the stuck.
"She wants to do this. I don't get why but she wants to. So... Am I ok with it or not at this point in time?
- Am I willing/able to participate in polyshipping with her in this way?
- Am I willing/able to support her in this right now?
- Do I need more time to get used to the idea in general? (a soft limit)
- Do I need more data to make an informed decision about what it is we are practicing and what is being asked of me/my skills? And the time to research that before making a final decision? (a soft limit)
- Do I need to accept that no matter how much time passes I will never be ok with this? (Hard limit)"
- Do I need to accept that no matter how much we read together or learn, I will never be ok with this? (hard limit)
Move on to thinking all that out --- because you can always come back to "Why does she want to do this? I want to be able to understand?"
Could skip it for now, come back to that one later.
But could note that if she's not able to know
her own wants, needs, and limits AND articulate them
to other people so they can understand her -- that's a big communication skill in polyshipping to me. Maybe she is willing to polyship, but not fully able in her skills yet? Or maybe it is you on the receiving end -- she broadcasts fine but you have a hard time receiving? Either way...That will play into your polyshipping communication. It's worth sharpening both broadcasting/receiving skills for both of you.
I would identify that as a potential gap in the new polyship/existing shared marriage: Communication skills.
Consider what your NEW agreements would be in polyshipping --
- Consider WHAT she does/will do in her behavior and HOW she is expected to do it
- Consider WHAT you are/will be expected to do in your behavior and HOW you are expected to do it.
Discern if all that is agreeble to you or not so you can thrive
in a polyship arrangement with her and not merely survive.
If your answer for "Am I willing/able to participate in polyship with her and X?" is anything less than a joyful yes?
Call it a "no" and let her know you are just not up for this at this time (soft limit) or ever (hard limit). Be honest with yourself and with her.
Then make your next choices from there. Take it one thing at a time.