View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM

I haven't seen the Temple Gradin film. I heard it got mixed reviews. Was it good. I actually enjoy ribbing people with disabilities when it is done in a suffisticated manner. There is scene in an old Seifeld where they take a disabled parking spot. As a consequence, a beautiful woman who uses a wheelchair ends up in the hospital. It was hilarious.

What was so damaging about this scene was that it was directing mocking someone's movement and comparing it to idiocity and drug use. A friend pointed out that he could have just as easily called it the "parkinson stage" or the MS stage... This work have been just as horrible, but not visceral for me. But why CP? The movie was based on a memoir, so maybe that's the term he used. But many people argue there is a hierarchy in disable perception:

For example: People who use wheelchairs where one of the first on TV because they look normal. It's just a normal person who can't walk. People are hesitant to mock MS or Parkinsons because these are conditions people can get, who affect a lot of people, and have good financial backing and socialal support - which they SHOULD. I work for the MS Society (they are wonderful). But other folks with congenital difference sometimes have a harder time getting airplay or support. For example, I wanted to have sugary on my knee, so I looked for a doctor who works specifically with CP - there is only one in NYC. He told me he wouldn't take me because I'm an adult and he only works with children. Often, there is a lot of backing for parents, but once people with CP become adults, they are sort of on their own.

All this is very complex. I'm just rambling.