View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Yeah, I'll probably be dealing with this stuff too someday. I'm slowly structuring my life so that I eventually won't have to interact with my parents anymore, because when the time comes that they want to know the real me, there's going to be a lot of frustration on their side, and I don't want to have to deal with it. I've had enough of that already.

It was interesting reading through those questions. I actually laughed when I read the first one about whether your son knew who his daddy was.

When thinking about things like this I find it helpful to reframe the issue in a context where monogamy is examined with the same type of question.

In particular...

Quote:
2. What does your husband think about you having another male partner?
How does a monogamous couple deal with feelings they have for people outside of their relationship?
Quote:
4. Is your son seeing too much sexual affection happening in his home? and if so, how is that affecting him?
I'll assume he's only seeing affection appropriate for public display... Is a boy in a monogamous home seeing enough?
Quote:
8. How will you ensure that you are giving your son enough of your time?
LOL this seems to be a more appropriate question for a home with responsibilities shared by only 2 adults, or a single parent.
Quote:
11. How is polyamory benefiting your relationship with your husband?
How does monogamy benefit a relationship?
Quote:
12. Is it a legitimate option for you and your family? and how?
Is monogamy a legitimate option for your family? How?

I mean the questions are already pretty ridiculous, but I think this just makes that point a little clearer. I'll leave you with a quote I like a lot:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

My guess is that the statement "polyamory is good and natural" is somewhere between stage one and two.