Thread: Mono People.
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by london View Post
. . . I don't think many mono partners would be cool with their partner and you still having a close relationship, especially because you'd still be poly and they'd be worried about their partner reverting to that relationship model and you, the person that offers it.

There's an expectation for people in relationships to have a certain distance with others just so everyone understands their relationship is platonic. Lots of people, even poly people, see no point of keeping up regular contact with an ex. Basically, mono normative culture wouldn't understand the friendship between ex partners who used to be in a poly relationship but now one has gone mono but still wants to be a close friend of their still poly ex. That takes a certain degree of out of the box thinking that I don't believe the average mono person has. Everyone is going to be telling newly mono person that they have to cut ties.
I disagree. Most of the people I know are monogamous and many of them have remained friends with exes, and whether the exes are single, partnered, mono, or poly really has no bearing on the maintaining of a friendship. All mono people are not automatically narrow-minded, insecure, or less evolved than polyfolk just because they choose to have only one partner at a time.
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.