View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Official Greeter

Greetings Pen,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

In addition to the excellent advice given so far, I'll add that it's been my experience that homesickness is usually caused by unpleasantness in the "home away from home." Unfortunately we all have to deal with unpleasantness from time to time, and at those times the heartache will tend to manifest itself as homesickness. I would discuss this with your girlfriend before February, and state that while you plan to have some special days at the beginning, you'll be trying to transition from there into more of a routine as you all expect to experience it. This doesn't mean no more special date nights; it just means you'll be having those more scheduled and/or as often as you would after she'd lived with you for about a year.

I'd also suggest implementing a once-a-week sit-down discussion for your first year together. An opportunity to discuss problems and concerns at a set time that everyone can count on. Good communication is tantamount in a poly relationship, and you'll need to get as much practice at communicating with each other as possible. Sit-downs can be a lifesaver in that regard.

You might want to journal your experiences, and can use the Life stories and blogs board if you want for that. Continue to read and study this site as time affords, and post problems, questions, and concerns as they arise. I'm usually good at following the intro board so whatever you post in this thread, I'll be one person (probably along with others) who'll respond. The more points of view you can get about a situation, the better equipped you'll be to carve out a method that'll work for you.

Sounds like a pretty promising relationship so far. Hopefully you'll be able to eliminate the long-distance factor too.

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter"

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!