View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 AM

Sorry to go off topic a bit, Garriguette, but your answers were helpful. I find the idea of church reform interesting, as Christian writers, as well as Jewish prophets and rabbis, started doing it while the religion was still in its earliest days. Ie: Deuteronomy rewriting and reinterpreting other older "Old Testament" books, even before the canon was official. And of course, things just got crazier after the time Christ was considered physically dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garriguette View Post
I find happiness and meaning in gathering together to talk about spirituality and ethics, in singing together, in sharing joys and concerns with each other, and in reading and talking about texts, biblical or not. And when I experimented with not going to church in college, I missed it. There aren't a lot of secular institutions that offer that kind of fellowship yet.
Well, if Christianity is so outmoded and now being hardly involved with actual Belief, why not go to a UU Church? Why hang in there with Christianity when it's got such a record of hatred and wars?

Quote:
I may be making a mistake in responding, because I think what I'm hearing is not that you're asking me why I believe as I do but instead telling me I should believe something else.
No. I don't want anyone to believe anything. Unless it really speaks to your heart or intellect. If it's just habit, I find it a bit... hypocritical? "I'm Christian but that just means I like hanging out with my Church friends," is what I am hearing.

Quote:
Part of the reason I've been happily dating an atheist for nine years is that we don't do that to each other. The reason I posted about this book is that I know there are other people on pdc who are interested in reconciling their faith with their live and/or the lives of the people they love, or this subforum wouldn't exist. If that shoe doesn't fit you, that's fine. I am not asking you to put it on...

I think there's some value in being able to say, "I'm okay; you don't need to worry" in language that other people will understand. And for some people in my life, that language is going to be theological.

As for why my mother in particular would find a Catholic's perspective valuable, despite not being Catholic: My dad's theologically systematic, but my mom's theologically pragmatic and a bit of a magpie. She's not Lutheran, but she loves Dietrich Bonhoeffer's writing because she knows what's at stake when he writes about ethical quandaries. She's not Episcopalian, but she agrees with John Shelby Spong that it's perverse to use the bible as a weapon. She's not Catholic, but she finds Matthew Fox's suggestion that maybe it's time to rethink the doctrine of original sin pretty persuasive.
OK, that makes sense. Not really that one NEEDS to explain ones polyamory in specifically Christian theology friendly ways to any religious loved one we might have, but since you like to toss around theology anyway, despite not being a believer, per se, you do it for fun.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37