View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Official Greeter

Awww, but you wouldn't be involved in such pseudo-research, isn't that right? [just nod and say yes]

So what inspired researchers to initiate this study? Did someone ask, "I wish we could develop a pill that would get men to be monogamous?" Just curious.

In any case, the study definitely failed to mention the possibility that a man (or woman) could pair-bond with more than one partner. (Of course I, too, am just working off the abstract ...)

Regarding the second study, it sounds like the research reaches farther but still works from a group of monogamous men. To determine whether oxytocin promotes pair-bonding only with one partner, we'd need to conduct a study using both monogamous and non-monogamous men (and women?).

I guess the second study does show that oxytocin discourages men from looking for new partners. But it doesn't say whether they could already have multiple (long-term) partners (prior to the influx of extra oxytocin). Sounds like my impression of the first study: The question on everyone's mind seems to be, "Can a pill be invented that would get men to stay monogamous?"

As it stands, a lot of non-monogamous men are out there. Would they even want, or be willing, to take an oxytocin-boosting pill to "cure" that? It's almost like asking, what if a medicine were invented that would cure men of homosexuality? I suppose it would be a powerful tool in the hands of the Church ...