View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
I didn't ask why Althaus-Reid was Christian/Catholic. I asked why you were.

But, your mother is a "minister," which means she isn't Catholic. Why would Catholic theology about "liberation" (from.... something, but not from the Catholic Church) or "indecency" have any affect on her making sense of polyamory?

Personally, I would just question why anyone puts their faith in a 2000+ year old book to such a large extent. I saw through it when I was 12. Only my brainwashed fear of actual eternal hellfire kept me going to church, and praying for my soul, on and off til I was 16, then I was done.

Of course, Kevin, putting one's faith in the ridiculous Book of Mormon (gold plates in a top hat, my ass), written much more recently, is even more silly.
I find happiness and meaning in gathering together to talk about spirituality and ethics, in singing together, in sharing joys and concerns with each other, and in reading and talking about texts, biblical or not. And when I experimented with not going to church in college, I missed it. There aren't a lot of secular institutions that offer that kind of fellowship yet.

I may be making a mistake in responding, because I think what I'm hearing is not that you're asking me why I believe as I do but instead telling me I should believe something else. Part of the reason I've been happily dating an atheist for nine years is that we don't do that to each other. The reason I posted about this book is that I know there are other people on pdc who are interested in reconciling their faith with their live and/or the lives of the people they love, or this subforum wouldn't exist. If that shoe doesn't fit you, that's fine. I am not asking you to put it on.

Also, as the mono partner of someone who is poly curious-- something I do not anticipate will change-- I have no concern that the congregation I worship with will see me as doing anything wrong. (I am out as bi among them.) I do have concerns that some members of the congregation I worship with-- like my choir buddy who discovered in adulthood that her father had another family he never told her about-- would see my position as worrisome or as a cause for pity, because they would have trouble grasping that someone could be happy in it.

I think there's some value in being able to say, "I'm okay; you don't need to worry" in language that other people will understand. And for some people in my life, that language is going to be theological.

As for why my mother in particular would find a Catholic's perspective valuable, despite not being Catholic: My dad's theologically systematic, but my mom's theologically pragmatic and a bit of a magpie. She's not Lutheran, but she loves Dietrich Bonhoeffer's writing because she knows what's at stake when he writes about ethical quandaries. She's not Episcopalian, but she agrees with John Shelby Spong that it's perverse to use the bible as a weapon. She's not Catholic, but she finds Matthew Fox's suggestion that maybe it's time to rethink the doctrine of original sin pretty persuasive.