View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 AM

You write that one of your researchers views monogamy as a “cultural cage” that distorts women’s libido. Is monogamy more suited for men than women?

Certainly, women are no better suited for monogamy than men are. That, I think, is clear. It seems possible, if you look at some of the data, that women are even less well-suited for monogamy than men. It’s important to distinguish between the sexual level of desire, and what we choose in our relationships for all kinds of reasons. But on a sexual level, women are even less suited to monogamy.

Partly, I do think that, ironically, has to do with the force of culture. Now that would take us to a really complex part of neuroscience that maybe is best left for another time. I do think that men who’ve been blessed to happily think that it’s only they who are having trouble with monogamy, and that their wives or long-committed girlfriends are more or less just fine with it, they may have a lot to worry about.

The Truth About Female Desire: It’s Base, Animalistic and Ravenous
A new book on women's sexuality turns everything we think we know on its head.
================================================== ==============================================

"I want the community at large to see polyamory as a reasonable and honorable relationship choice. Poly people are often told that what they are doing is too complicated or weird and that it would be better if they just cheated which is just strange to me."
The Polyamorist On The Couch: Q&A With Tamara Pincus On What Therapists Should Know About Big Love

Last edited by alexi; 12-13-2013 at 05:41 AM.