View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 PM

@london While I'm always willing to accept that some people say terrible things out of ignorance rather than malice, the statement as I heard it ("Jewish men tend to be date rapists") is clearly anti Semitic, as it ascribes the behaviors of a few (and possibly a figurative few, not her actual life experiences) to ALL Jewish men, with the only connection being their religious identity. A similar statement could be said to be racist if she had said "Black men tend to be date rapists" or homophobic if she said "Gay men tend to be date rapists". While I'm sure there are Jewish men out there who have date raped, possibly even to her personal knowledge, that doesn't reflect on ALL Jewish men. I'm willing to accept some ignorance on her part, as she grew up in a country with very few Jews and was not taught sensitivity about this stuff in the same way Americans are...however, she has been in the NYC area for the past nine years and is in her 30s with a professional career- she's hardly living in a vacuum. If there was no malice behind her words and she was just spouting what is typical for the area she grew up in out of ignorance, I feel that she especially deserves to be informed of this issue so she can possibly grow and expand her viewpoint.