View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

Default This is a very intense blog about prejudice.

I do not want to alienate anyone: please forgive me if you are on this "list." I want to talk openly about prejudice and judgement. I am considering writing an article about my son. My son is a person who I believe actually has been raised without prejudice. This made me begin to consider who I had been prejudiced against/who I had judged. I made a list of people I had judged (groups) and a list of people I had not judged( that often others do).

Judged: Deaf folks,the wealthy, women, feminists, people in the military, black teenagers, hipsters, young people (in their twenties), hipsters, people with severe physical disabilities, very fat people, badly dressed women. Women who wear thongs under transparent skirts, Christians other than Catholoics, Muslims (only right after 9/11, widely published bad writers, people who don't read books, hard core-yogis, disabled people who act like their life is a tragedy, people who belong to the NRA, people who go to or host sex parties, and hard-core pro-choice activists.

People I do not judge that other people do or might: liberals, catholics, hispanics, Indians, gay men, men (mostly), poor people, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, atheists, transgender people, elderly people, middle age -people, women who who have gone through menopause, people with Downs, Aspergers, CP, MS, blind or autism, Jews, non-Americans.

Why do I judge? Where does anyone's prejudice come from. I think it comes from a number of places. We are taught prejudice by our families, friends, and even schools. We also, at times, have limited experience with different groups. This is why I have argued it is crucial to be "out." Mostly, for me, it comes from being so heavily judged and reacting to that judgement. I've met a few trans people, none of them has ever reacted to my disability. Actually, I've never heard a transperson be prejudice at all.

When I taught inner city black kids, I was always surprised how prejudice they were! they hated Jews. They hated Arabs. They hated this and that. I was like: yo dude~! You'rE BLACK! But being marginalized doesn't automatically create empathy for other people. If anything, it makes you madder.

Overcoming prejudice takes a lot of work. I wonder what it would be like if I woke up one day and no one stared at me on the street or called me retard on the subway. I wonder what it would feel like if I wrote "I'm fine and happy with my disability" and people said OK. Or what do you mean? Instead of "You're trying to speak for all disabled." "You're an insult to disabled people and humanity." "She's not worth your wasted breath." I wonder what that would look like.