View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 AM

My understanding is that humans and chimps shared a common ancestor, not that one evolved from the other. I also read a study that found chimps and bonobos are equally related to humans, not preferentially. Both share 99.6% of our DNA.

Bonobos and Chimps split from each other only 1MYA (million years ago), humans split off from their common ancestor between 5 and 7MYA.

Another limitation of cultural anthropology is that it's impossible to interview each and every member of a culture. At best, you come up with tendencies.

I don't think I would agree with the statement "Humans are wired to make war, not love." After all, nearly every human alive is the product of sex. By contrast, though war is awful and overbearing when it happens, most of the world is not presently at war. I'm not at war with anyone, for example. My government may be supporting wars in other countries, but they do not speak for me. By and large, people on the ground who are involved in war are firmly against it.

The human tendency towards violence actually has a lot to do with cultural education, rather than hard-wired nature. Most people are, by and large, kind and compassionate. The problem is that over the past 10-20,000 years, the people who wanted power have educated the masses to think in terms of obedience and authority. Those kinds of thoughts give rise more easily to violence. It's difficult to make a group of people follow your instructions when they don't really want to, unless you can back up your commands with the use of force.

For example, a group of strangers stranded on an island will tend to work together to create shelter, find food, and get rescued. I'm not saying there won't be arguments, but their first course of action won't be to kill everyone else and be the last man standing. If humans weren't inclined to work together, we never would have made it out of the caves. It was the invention of governments and the desire of small groups of people to control large groups of people that began the process of war.