View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
I am former Air Force.

It's human nature to categorize people based on our existing knowledge base. It is shorthand thinking. If we didn't do this, we would be overwhelmed with information overload. Not good, not bad, it just is.

As a service member, you will be expected and held to a higher standard of conduct than the average citizen. We don't give guns to those who guard the gates unless we trust them not to use them against us. "Higher standards" is a societal subjective concept. It means that behavior that lies outside societal norms are discouraged. (Although, I would like to note that the US military integrated before the rest of US society did.) As such, when people say that BMT will beat freethinking out of you, this is what they mean.

There is a misconception that service members are not allowed to question authority. There is nothing further from the truth. We are called to follow lawful orders without hesitation. That means we always evaluate the orders we are given, knowing that we rarely have all the information available, in an extremely small window of time. If we carry out an unlawful order, we are held just as accountable as we are if we fail to carry out a lawful one.

Individuality is permitted in as much as it 1) doesn't interfere with the mission, and 2) doesn't detract from the professional image needed for societal trust.
Thank you SO MUCH!~ FINALLY some one understands what I am talking about!~ XD

When it is just me saying these things, 1 or 2 people or no one will believe me let alone take me seriously when I try to explain it to them, I am SO glad some one who is in the military besides myself has finally spoken up on this issue!~

Thank you!~ ^_^

Let me elaborate for Emm and every one else who didn't get my point with my last post:

I do not like it when people make assumptions about the kind of person that I am and the kind of things I would do: military or not, it is not fair to me nor to any one it is done to, and it is very presumptuous of those who do so.~

I have my own thoughts, feelings, view points, and perspectives of every thing and I am and I am trying to be the kind of person that I want to be.~

I agreed to all of the laws, rules, and regulations of the organization that I signed up for.~

This is what other people on online forums almost always do to me: they assume I will question some one of authority the first chance that I get and that some how having an individual thought of my own without even acting upon it will immediately alert every one and have me singled-put for "being a free-thinker".~

To make such HUGE assumptions that I am:

1) Unlawful, unruly

2) Have no self-control

3) Have no sense of timing or how to read a situation

and 4) Have absolutely NO respect for those in command

to make ANY of these assumptions when some one leaps to their imagined situation of me "always questioning authority and being disrespectful" is mind-boggling, it's unfair, judgmental, stereotyping, generalizing, highly presumptuous, and just plain ridiculous.~

It's even more sad when these assuming people don't even want to be open to understanding what kind of person I really am like, what the organization I work for is really like, and what they think they know is often just a fantasy.~

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 12-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.