View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 PM

I have to admit-all of this discussion is actually helping me with my class. Finals are in a week and a half. I've gone through this book forward and backward during our discussion. I'm at a point now where I am starting to memorize which side of the page certain information is etc. Pretty cool.

Found another pertinent quote/comment/topic for this thread.

p. 346 of the book.
"stereotype threat-a disruptive concern, when facing a negative stereotype, that one will be evaluated based on a negative stereotype. Unlike self-fulfilling prophesies that hammer one's reputation into one's self-concept, stereotype threat situations have immediate effects.

Just being sensitive to prejudice is enough to make us self-conscious when living as a numerical minority-perhaps as a black person in a white community or as a white person in a black community. As with other circumstances that siphon off our mental energy and attention, the result can be diminished mental and physical stamina (inzlicht & others, 2006). Placed in a situation where others expect you to perform poorly, your anxiety may also cause you to confirm the belief."

and

"Cognitive sources of prejudice; recent research shows how the stereotyping that underlies prejudice is a by-product of our thinking-our ways of simplifying the world. Clustering people into categories exaggerates the uniformity within a group and the differences between groups.
A distinctive individual, such as a lone minority person, has a compelling quality that makes us aware of differences that would otherwise go unnoticed. The occurrence of two distinctive events (for example, a minority person committing an unusual crime) helps create an illusory correlation between people and behavior. Attributing others' behavior to their dispositions can lead to the group-serving bias: assigning outgroup members' negative behaviors to their natural character while explaining away their positive behaviors.
and
Blaming the victim results from the common presumption that because this is a just world, people get what they deserve.

Motivational Sources of prejudice:
People's motivations affect prejudice. Frustration breeds hostility, which people sometimes vent on scapegoats and sometimes express more directly against competing groups.
People also are motivated to view themselves and their groups as superior to other groups. Even trivial group memberships lead people to favor their own group over others. A threat to self-image heightens such ingroup favoritism, as does the need to belong.

and
On a more positive note, if people are motivated to avoid prejudice, they can break the prejudice habit."