Thread: Love Addiction
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by LoveBunny View Post
Funny, people in the love addiction forum don't believe in polyamory, people in the polyamory forum don't believe in love addiction!
To be clear, opal and I have simply expressed doubt that "love addiction" is the best way to address the very real issues you are having (if I'm taking you out of context please correct me opal). You may well have this mysterious "love addiction", but what you are describing are standard, run of the mill codependency/self-worth issues. At least that's what it sounds like. These issues can be quite a trick to deal with and grow past but they are the bread and butter of modern psychotherapy and don't need to be made worse by giving them super-classifications.

Honestly, "love addiction" sounds like a made up idea created with the singular purpose of making people feel bad about not being monogamous. I am not surprised to learn that they don't "believe" in anything but traditional monogamy. It would seem that recognizing the reality that not everyone approaches romantic relationships in the same way would be a serious blow to their stance.

In defense of "love recovery" groups, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone use the phrase "love addiction".

I am not of the opinion that life is something we need to recover from and am therefor not a big supporter of the idea of these addiction recovery groups. If there are actual behavioral issues then they need to be worked on, and it sounds like that's what you're trying to do. The idea that we should externalize our problems "I can't help it, I'm an addict, that's just the way I am" would seem to be the opposite of a good idea.
Me: male, 40, straight, single