View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Probably "gals" went out of style in the feminist era of the 70s, when women objected to being called girls. It felt belittling. Especially since you'd see the term girl paired with man ALL the time.

"Boy" is seen as derogatory to men. Especially since white people used to call Black men "boy" all the time. So, when boy was dropped to refer to an adult male, girl (or the slang for that, gal) was also dropped.

Just like the "N" word being used amongst some AAs as a reclaiming, girl can be used amongst women. It is one thing to be belittled and patronized by being called a girl by men, it is another thing to feel enjoyably youthful when women bond with their female friends and call them girls.

Try this on: my girlfriend and I sleep and have sex together in the "master" bedroom. Should we call it the "mistress" bedroom?
In my opinion: It's a bedroom, it shouldn't have a sex to begin with, unless one of you and NOT both of you "own" it.~

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!~ ^_^

It seems when a word has been used in a insulting way then it falls out of favor regardless of what the word actually means, such as the word that was used to refer to African American slaves as from my understanding it was simply an adaptation to English of the Spanish word for "Black": "Negro" (NEH-growh (Note that the Spanish r here is pronounced with a tap of the tongue against the front of the palate.)).~

Our words in English often originate from other languages.~

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 11-27-2013 at 07:37 PM.