View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletzinnia View Post
Is there a word for someone who wants to cling to a positive opinion of someone no matter what they say and do? Even if the person attacks someone you care about? This has happened before, this is not the first problematic person he has dated, in fact, we had an even worse situation in the past.
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I suppose the word one would use depends on one's own attitudes and expectations of others. So, your husband may be a generous spirit always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and to hope for the best, or he may simply be naive, or worse.

If he tends to be generous toward others, that may be a good thing on the whole, all else being equal. I don't know your relationship, but I suspect that in your years together you've benefited from that generosity more than once.

(I know I've benefited from the forgiveness, patience and tolerance of others, most especially "Vix", my partner in a 20-year marriage.)

As for whether you should feel unsafe now, do consider that, even if you think he is too willing to give the benefit of the doubt, he did in fact cut off communication with her . . . eventually.

It may be that, in the fullness of time, he'll figure out how to temper his judgment of other people, and to recognize that it is possible to be critical of another person even as you hope for the best for and from them.