View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Official Greeter

Re: veggies in season ... well I've seen a farm or two in my younger days myself, and I know they have cellars and stuff for storing things that will keep thru the Winter. Potatoes keep pretty good I think. Apples possibly too? D'ope, my abundant expertise supply just ran out. Oh wait; carrots keep. Carrots keep, don't they?

Re: tomatoes ... home-grown will always kick ass on any other tomatoes, especially those pathetic January tomatoes that they strip mine out of Texas.

Yes, I'm afraid grocery stores with their year-round produce sections are here to stay. Best one can do is avoid such produce sections and buy strictly from small-scale farmers if one's lucky enough to live near any.

Re: eating meat ... I keep going back and forth on that because I know Nature (via evolution) intended for humans (and cats, etc.) to eat meat. But one thing I'll never step backwards on is my conviction that we must stay right on top of humane methods of killing our livestock. Basically, if the non-human person being killed feels a thing, then we're doin' it wrong.

Which by the way screws up the "relative morality" of eating fish. When those poor suckers are caught, they're just thrown in a bucket or something and left to suffocate.

Of course, the quality of life before the fateful killing is of utmost importance. I kind of covered my take on what constitutes a decent quality of life for livestock in my 11-22-2013 post, so I'll leave it at that.

Re:
Quote:
"I'll tip the hat to the people who have the performing cats. Anyone who can train a cat to do *anything* has my utmost respect and admiration."
Haha; cats have brains-a-plenty; they just don't want us humans to get wise to that fact if they can help it. My current theory: A cat can be trained as long as the cat somehow decides that the training is the cat's own idea, not the human's idea.

But here's a question to ponder: How did we humans decide which animals were fit for food, which were fit for labor, and which were fit for company and entertainment? For example ... ducks and geese are *not* always pets. They sometimes end up on the dinner table. And I've heard of people keeping pigs as housepets. And we've all heard about the Far-Eastern tradition of eating cats and dogs ...

I just wonder what our thinking process is for making these decisions. I suppose every non-human person's animal/human relationship/dynamic has its own evolutionary story. But how do we decide which non-human people have "small enough brains" to qualify them as comestibles? Monkeys, whales, dolphins, humans = *No* (except in certain exotic lands) ... Horses = Hormel ... Pigs = Yes ... Seals = "No" (I think?) ... and on and on. How did we figure out where to draw the lines?

Just throwin' it out there for the ugly fun of it.
Kevin