View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Originally Posted by YouAreHere
Depending on the context, there may not be a valid pairing (as in my "Girls' Night Out" emails from my friends). I agree that using mismatched word (other than for effect, maybe) would be jarring, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.
Then I believe you are mistaken.~

This is all relevant to why "gals" is not as commonly used as it used to be as "guys" was and is.~

Why exactly is "girls" more popular than "guys" like "girls night out"?~

Sure some people use the term "boys night out", but they also use the term "guys night out": how is this more popular than "gals night out"?~
So your point is that, if "guys" is more popular among men, then "gals" should be more popular among women?

But it's not. At least in this area. Maybe in a different region, it's different?
Why? I'm not sure, and I guess I'll let the etymologists get into that.

There are still some female-descriptive terms that don't have a pairing ("chick"), or some that have a many-to-one relationship ("guys and gals", "guys and dolls"), so it (like all language) isn't cut and dried.

But why isn't "gal" used more often? I gave *my* reason - it sounds odd. Maybe it sounds a bit "pulp fiction novel/noir" for me... sort of like "dame" or "doll" (which a couple friends of mine *do* use). Maybe language will turn around again and it'll be in favor once more. Who knows?

Time to take my gams and go.
Dramatis personae:
Me: Mono. Divorced, two kids (DanceGirl, 14; and PokéGirl, 11), two cats, one house, many projects.
Chops: My partner. Poly. In relationships with me, Xena, and Noa.
Xena: Poly. In a relationship with Chops. Dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In a relationship with Chops.

External blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk