View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Official Greeter

Default Part 1 of 3

@ london ... I like what you say, lots and lots of "black variety" springs up when looking at various parts of the world.

---

Warning: Buckle up, coz what you're about to read is gonna be a rough ride (and incite great wrath towards me as well).

Re (from LovingRadiance):
Quote:
"I'm rolling my eyes over the temper tantrum of 'black/white/brown etc.' ... Seriously?"
LOL ... so you're saying the world will not actually end because of these things? Shwhew; that's good; I was getting a little worried there.

Re:
Quote:
"Words are labels -- but they are most importantly labels to make communication possible. Which means that by their nature they are *not* exact. It's something we have to accept in order to have a damn conversation."
Amen.

Re:
Quote:
"The point of any thread is defined by the original poster."
Ah. With that opening, I'll re-iterate that my "official point" in initiating this particular thread was to see what I could learn about what I saw as a "troubling absence" of "apparent minority races" in the poly events I've attended -- and possibly a statistical near-absence of minority races on some poly forums as well. The last bit of that sentence quite possibly being a sheer figment of my imagination, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.

And even more "to the point," my hope in initiating this particular thread was to brainstorm ideas on how to "get all us diverse poly races and cultures even more together than we were previously." No more, no less.

Re:
Quote:
"Of course -- anyone who wants to make an unrelated point, could start their own thread."
I actually don't mind "mini-hijacks" here and there, long as they don't become full-blown derails (and train wrecks).

Re:
Quote:
"My nearest and dearest are various shades of black. Furthermore -- they all prefer 'black.' Not 'brown' or 'African American.' They *prefer* their race designation to be *black.* Enough so that when some dingbat threw a tizzy fit over how 'African American' was the more approrpiate term -- they flipped their lids, lost their marbles and flew off the handle over how they *are not from Africa.*"
Huh? What? They're not?

LOLOL ... You seem to be observing that said "browns" ("Hello my brown brother! Don't you feel empowered by my reference to you as the shade of a stereotypical piece-o-shiz?") are as tired of the "what to call those inconvenient colored folks" debate as us ingnernt honkies are! LOLOL ... Jeezh, let's agree on a (preferably merciful short and sweet) term already and stick with it.

Damn. I'm a-gonna use "black/s" from now on.

It don't bother me to be called "white." Hell it don't even bother me to be called "honky" or "cracker." I can take a jab in the ribs about my skin color (and all the not-so-funny American history that goes with it). So I'm not "technically white." Big freakin' deal, I thought we weren't supposed to care about what the scientific definition of one's skin color was. (Sorry, I know I'm basking in irreverent levity here, but sometimes the otherworldly absurdness does disturb one's mind. Can I get an amen?)

Admittedly, I consider "the N word" to suck more than "the H or C words" because it's "the N word" people who got so horridly maltreated by "the H/C humans." (I guess the widespread usage of the N word when blacks are talking to each other is meant by them as a bit of grim irony.)

Re:
Quote:
"One of them -- had me smiling and I probably will continue to smile over this for some time -- pointed out that his mother is into geneology. *Their family was not from Africa* for so many generations -- she can't *find* proof that they *ever were.* Meaning -- it didn't happen anytime in the last 15+ generations! So the whole "African-American" thing is so ridiculous to their family, as they *know* their geneology. They weren't brought to America as slaves. They weren't brought to America. They traveled here as free men from Europe, where they were also free men. *And yes when I say men I also mean women. "
Hmmm ... interesting ... interesting ... the plot thickens ...

Re:
Quote:
"I think posters need to understand that whatever *your personal preferred term is* -- that *does not* make it *the* preferred term. There is no world-wide preferred term."
Oh crap. Now we'll never agree ...

Re:
Quote:
"If KDT says black and white -- it is his right -- unless the moderators tell him it is not."
Oh gods, don't "speak of the devil" [read: "speak of the moderators" -- but I don't mean you're a devil, O ruthlessly witty one] or the devil will come, and have my filthily-delusioned European American butt in a sling for saying black and white (There goes my myopic black-and-white thinking again).

Re:
Quote:
"It is absolutely not necessary to be personally acquainted to any group in order to be an ally to them."
Coolness! Happy happy.

Re:
Quote:
"Treating each other with the *assumption* that no harm is intended would go a long way to fostering better understanding."
Oh man ... that's exactly how we should treat each other, and explains exactly why we should treat each other that way.

Re:
Quote:
kdt26417 sed:
I just hope I can help brown-skinned (and any-color-skinned, from any culture) persons feel as welcome amongst "the majority race" (e.g. fair-skinned) as they made me feel.

... LovingRadiance replied:
"You have made this clear in your posts, repeatedly. I find it frustrating and offensive that instead of moving from the stance of this good intention, anyone would react by tearing apart your terminology. *Especially* on a board that is multicultural and world-wide -- therefore ensuring that there is no *absolute* common accepted terminology."
... and kdt26417 rhapsodizes:
Ohh man ... I sooo appreciate that vote of moral support. IMO, words are only barbs when they're *meant* to be barbs. Now meaning words as jabs in the ribs: that's something I'm often guilty of. But as barbs? Me? Gosh darn it, I ain't the type.

Re:
Quote:
"Some people push others away. Others 'suck them in with love' so to speak. That happens in all races. But I think it's always good when anyone, of any race or culture can extend that loving kind of suck towards others of different cultures."
Yes -- such is most propitious.

Re:
Quote:
"Stereotypes are often based in truth, but magnified into exaggerations. They aren't a terrible place to start if you lack knowledge. In fact -- *no place* is a terrible place to start moving towards connection with others. Even if someone starts out as a total bigoted jerk-off, if they are moving towards connection and caring -- wonderful. The starting place is what it is. It's the journey that matters."
See? Even Archie Bunker can be saved.

And I even agree with you about the distinction between prejudice and stereotyping. Thanks for your post in general.

[end of rough ride ... perhaps ...]

[continued below]