View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Thanks ladyjools. How do you manage without your own space? I would struggle with that. Still, whatever works right?!

No wonder you are busy!
We've been thinking about giving up the apartment, buying a big RV, and living in it full-time. It's something a lot of people do when they're retired, and we figured, why wait our whole lives for something we want to do right now? It helps that his job is on the road, so he already lives in a decked-out mini-van 10/14 days, so an RV would actually be a huge UPGRADE for him...

Anyway, my whole point here was about having your own space. Obviously, in a 10'x30' home, space becomes a huge premium (forget about having your own room.) One article suggested staking out your own space, no matter how small it is, even if it's just a drawer that's only yours. Now obviously you can't crawl into a drawer to get away from everything, but just having something that the other person will respect as off-limits can (supposedly) make a big difference. And when you need to get away, there's a whole big outside! (not just living in an RV, we all have access to the outdoors)

Also, don't be scared to tell your partner(s) "Hey, I'm really feeling frazzled, do you think you could take the kids for ice cream for a couple hours while I recover my energy?" My husband always feels really guilty asking me for the house to himself for a while, and to be honest I'm not always in the mood to go out when it's convenient for him, but I can always go for a coffee for an hour or two, and that's usually enough just to get some breathing room.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."