View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Banned

Default Since there is a possibility you are being sincere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt24617
As for culture per se: I wonder if African Americans are onto something when they hesitate to give "polyamory" a name (or acknowledge that it has a name). Perhaps they realize that nomenclature isn't the secret to saving the world. Actions speak so much louder than words -- I think. But caucasions like me almost have this built-in habit of fancying that "If we just coin the right magic word for things, people's attitudes will change about it." The word for "African American" has changed several times over the past century. Has that race benefitted in proportion to the number of changes? I have to wonder. Oh I suppose it's helped to some extent but, How much? is the question, and, Has it been worth it? Lots of stars-on stars-off Sneetch tactics, it almost seems to me.

Rather than word change/manipulation, I think black/white relations have been helped much more by demonstrations, civil discourse between the races, and things like Martin Luther King Jr.'s unforgettable "I have a dream" speech. I have similar opinions about non-human people's rights, as well as about polyamorist, LGBT, and BDSM rights. I know many will disagree with me. I hope my personal opinion isn't offensive. I regret talking about it in the presence of any who've worked damn hard to fix the English language so as to correct people's foul or ignorant attitudes. I don't mean to diss that work. But if we can't talk about our opinions, then we'll all be missing out on the benefit of choosing between (and gleaning new ideas from) multiple differing perspectives.

Ummm, just for the record: I'm no expert on racial issues, just an "armchair enthusiast." So please feel free to correct any of my false suppositions with any edifying data you have. (Personal perspectives are also welcome.)

I, guess there's no reason to "force things to change." They won't change for a long time anyway. Maybe it'll actually help if we focus on the half-full part of the glass and get encouragement from it.

Sorry if I seem over-zealous about the whole thing. I just miss the presence of African American (and Native American, Latino, Hispanic, etc.) culture when I attend my poly meetings. It's a sentimental problem and technically belongs only to me (though others may carry around their own version of culture-poly problem perception).
So I am willing to give you the benefit if doubt regardless of what it may only appear to say between the lines, I will point out the surface meaning that you may or may not be aware of, in case you missed it the first time, sentences such as this one

"I have similar opinions about non-human people's rights, as well as about polyamorist, LGBT, and BDSM rights."

you may wish to avoid as it is the way it is written can be misleading. It is *almost* as if it implies that poly, LGBT and BDSM people are non human, which may tend to hit a few nerves regardless of their race and regardless of your desired message. Something to think about if you are concerned about coming off as being sincere

but then again, I am no authority, nor grammarian, nor linguist so I don't think it means anything if continue to use sentences structured as that one, perhaps if it was the third time it might appear more deliberate, but luckily the author is here so I can just ask if you intentionally wrote the sentences knowing the second surface meaning was pretty much right there, uncovered, on the surface

This is just one person's opinion as far as I know, so you can take it or leave it, for what it's worth

but actions do speak louder than words, however derogatory words do, do a lot of harm, many times it's the subtle ones that are the most harmful, especially when they are hatefilled because they are unmistakable.

For instance, there was a term which was used to describe a person which you appear to want to call "blacks", which therm was coined from the country Nigeria. It was a term that was or had become closely bound with racism and hatred (often unspoken) to Human Beings, and the hatred was assigned due to the color of their skin.

Such a hatefilled term becoming socially unacceptable did effectively remove a bigot's ability to marginalize a human being anywhere he pleased. As when people speak out, they cannot get away with lesser know ways to intimidate another human being.

So yes specific words actually do have a much greater effect than I think you have admitted to.

In fact I subscribe to the theory that there would not need to be any discourse between races if people spoke out, each and every time they smell the hatred spilling all over everything with a putrid stench, and if we all did spoke up, with nothing more than a "hey! that's unacceptable, are you aware how that makes people feel?"

"Do you care?"

it's extremely effective at removing their power to marginalize and intimidate those whom would otherwise continue to violate and creep into every safe public place, and that feeling of safety is very important.

Especially with how far my govt has taken the safety as an excuse to violate, I be damned if I am going to let them take away the psychological sanctuary, nobody has the right to do that kevin

Last edited by Dirtclustit; 11-24-2013 at 04:43 AM.