View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM

BOOK REVIEW:
"One Big Happy Family: 18 Writes talk about Polyamory, Open Adoption, Mixed Marriage, House-husbandry, Single Motherhood and Other Realities of Truly Modern Love.", edited by Rebecca Walker, Riverhead Books, (c) 2009, ISBN 978-1-59448-862-7, 263 pages.

This book is a mixed bag, as you might expect given that it is 18 essays by different writers. Some of the essays were extremely moving. I teared up. Others had me rolling my eyes. Do I really need to learn about this man and wife who bicker for pages about house work?

You do get a sense that people with courage and determination can over come very difficulty obstacles in their marriage / relationships. Some of the situations these people wrote about were very interesting. Others were so dull, I found myself skimming the remainder of the article.

As a guide for polyamory, the book does not say much. The author who discusses poly is Jenny Block who wrote "Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open marriage", (reviewed above). Her essay is basically a 16 page summary of her book, with out the details that might help someone. Basically it is an assurance that poly families exist and that they can work.

I can not recommend this book for people looking for information about polyamory. I wonder, for what audience the book would really be of use to. People who need an example that lateral thinking about relationships may be useful perhaps.

Warm regards, Rick