View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtclustit View Post
I am pretty much baffled by situations such as when a marginalized group (such as any form of non-monogamy, but here, specifically poly) who understands and has even experienced wrongful discrimination can ever justify wrongfully discriminated against others in nearly identical situations
I used to be baffled at this as well. Then I thought about it a little more, and realized that we're all only human, with limitations and faults. It can be hard to project the feeling of being discriminated against onto other people against whom you are discriminating.

The truth is, on a neurological level, we see people as "us" and "others." Some people are much more accepting, with a broader definition of "us," but it's something each and every human does. No matter how tolerant you are, there will always be some group of people who are "others." It may be to the extreme of Nazis or KKK or the Ford Nation, but no matter who you are, there is some group of people that you see as flawed.

It's our tribal heritage, brain physiology carried over from a period when basic survival meant competing for nuts and berries and hunting grounds, and the only way to assure your personal survival was to help protect "us" and combat the "others."

We are getting better, though. The "us" group is growing with each generation and the "others" group is becoming a small and deliberate opposition who truly don't care for the well-being of the majority. But still, we're only human. We have flaws, we make mistakes, we act without thinking, we think without acting, we feel without reason.