View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
And of course, for the Greeks, the Beautiful was a newly adolescent boy, loved, and nearly worshiped, by men. When that boy became a man, he may have been discarded for someone younger, as he, himself, then set about loving a boy. http://www.hinsdale86.org/staff/jrol...es/Greek15.jpg
Yeah, that's fairly explicit in The Symposium and in Phaedrus and . . .

It's not quite right to attribute pederasty - which would be the technical term for it, I suppose ('erastes' = 'lover') - to "the Greeks" in general. It was more of an Athenian thing. Aristotle, who grew up in Macedonia, had no tolerance for the practice.

Plato may have done a good thing by taking sex out of such relationships. I'm not sure he did such a great thing by taking attention to the particularity of the other person out of it.

Okay, this has become a serious digression. The connection to the OP is a bit thin, at this point, so maybe it's a good idea to state it clearly.

I started down this side path on the hunch that there's something odd about the idea of "a relationship" having an expiration date, as though it's a consumer product that goes bad after a while and has to be discarded.

I meant only to suggest that focusing on the people with whom we relate rather than on some thingified notion of the relationship or of any particular set of roles or expectations might be useful because, short of death, the other person will still be there, even if expectations and boundaries and degrees of intensity and commitment change. If nothing else, there will always have been that opening between you.

Last edited by hyperskeptic; 11-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.