View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
It sounds like he was supporting his kids and their mother but could neither file jointly as a (common-law) married couple nor claim his partner as a tax deduction.

Correct me if I'm wrong about that, GS.
Yep - you got it Ygirl. Nor even claim the children ! Even though we lived full time together - same legal address etc.
I don't believe that's changed yet either but can't be certain. We chose to cave and get married - although that wasn't the ONLY reason. At that time, and in that place (conservative area) we felt it unfair to risk exposing the kids when they started school to the "bastard" label.
But to us - it was never anything more than a legal contract for mutual benefit. We don't even have the marriage certificate, don't remember the date (or celebrate it). We celebrate the day we started living together. And in our case, we have a verbal agreement that were we ever to go separate ways we would be as fair as humanly possible about the whole deal. But if we knew then what we know now, we probably would have drawn up some prenup and felt that much better about the whole thing. Because you never know what can happen once emotions become involved - or money. As down to earth people as we are - people are people.