View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
InfinitePossibility, thank you for your words of support and yes, I really really feel like I understand your post and agree with you.
Awww - I just wanted you to know that I was appreciating your input on this thread.

Quote:
I mean, how does an animal *give* permission anyway? Do they have some special kind of code?"
Depends I think on the animal. Domestic dogs have vast, rich and complex communication system. My opinion is that they are the most brilliant of communicators. They learn to understand some human speech although verbal communication isn't really their thing, many learn ways of communicating desires with the humans they love and many of them are comfortable communicating with each other even if the other dog looks very different to themselves - a Chihuahua and a great dane are both still dogs.

So - yes. Domestic dogs are absolutely able to give permission to be touched. I'd imagine that other animals can too.

Quote:
And that's the only life form (not counting microbes I guess) I can think of that reacts with violence to touch.
Cool example.

But I think that individuals of many species may well react to touch with violence or threats of violence. Some people (and some dogs too for sure) have suffered trauma to an extent that they view being touched as threatening. Some will react violently - especially if they've learned over time that more polite ways of asking not to be touched are ignored.

It happens. I just don't think that it is usual, healthy behavior.

Quote:
Most of the time, I feel like the wearing of clothes is mostly the result of plain old habit (and hey who's not more comfortable adhering to habit).
I agree with you.

I also feel that wearing of clothing may be to do with a type of shame that has nothing to do with morality. We are bombarded with images every day of perfect bodies. The people with those bodies are often portrayed as having perfect lives. Worse - if they put on weight or lose too much weight - the media will report on how ill/fat they are and speculate about how their lives are going wrong.

Not surprisingly it's common for people to grow to adulthood feeling ashamed of their less than perfect body and seeking to hide it. I have at least one friend who never allows anybody including sexual partners to see them naked. I don't think that they are unusual.

A desire to avoid being seen naked is about lots more than morality IMO.

IP