View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 04:05 AM

A note on the "aunt" and "uncle" terminology. I agree it sounds odd in English, because it's usually reserved for persons who are either siblings of one's parents, people like unto siblings to one's parents, or people who play a similar role in one's life (like godparents or something). So it seems very odd (almost incestuous) to call someone who would be a lover to one's parent the same thing as you would call a sibling to that parent.

But it could be a cultural difference too - in Hungarian, for example, all persons of a generation or more older (ie, if they're old enough to be your parents, or older) you refer to that person as "néni" or "bácsi", which effectively translates to "aunt" or "uncle". The words for sir or mr, or for madam or mrs ("uram" or "asszonyom", which more literally translate to "my lord" and "my lady") are much more formal and distant - ie, you'd use them if you didn't know someone, or if someone was very elderly, but rarely for friends or family, even teachers or other community persons would more likely be called néni or bácsi. So; if I were in Hungary (or one of our lovers was in the Hungarian community, where the kids would already be used to calling them this) I would have no problem referring to, for example, my (ex)girlfriend J as "J-néni, or Morp as "Morp-bácsi"; indeed, prefer it. Theses sort of cultural artifacts may persist in English (from Hungarian, or any other language that may use them this way), even a couple generations down, which may explain why some people still use "aunt" and "uncle" even though in English it doesn't make sense.

But no, in English it doesn't make sense; so we're probably going to go with the majority and introduce by name only, when Morp and I meet each others' kids.