View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Default "Gray-A" Asexuality

How can it be that I'm so learndid on all this terminology, alternative relationship / sexuality / etc stuff... and I've never heard this term??

Gray-A describes people who are "more or less" asexual, but it's not that they don't have sex, just that they don't really have a sex drive and don't tend to be sexually attracted to people.

In other words, me.

I learned this word at bi/pan group today, and it was one of those moments that a lot of people experience when they learn about bisexuality or polyamory. "There's a word for that?"

I always knew that I wasn't that "into sex." I enjoy it plenty when it happens, but I almost never seek it out. When I do, I usually have to talk myself up and convince my brain to convince my privates that we want to seek sex. It's very non-spontaneous. But I'm extremely easily seduced.

So for the longest time, I identified as "asexual...sometimes." I knew I wasn't completely asexual because I didn't "not have sex ever." But I also knew that my sex drive was much lower than average. I can pretty much take it or leave it. I've had periods of months and months without sex, without even noticing. Sometimes I go through phases where sex seems like more of a chore than something enjoyable.

Anyhoo, just thought I would throw this out there for discussion. I figure if I've never heard this term before, and I get around in these groups where such things are discussed, then I can't be the only one who has always felt this way and never had the right word for it.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."