View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
evolution (and physiology) is far too complex a subject, with far too many unknowns in this early stage of science's development, for scientists to be able to say, "We know evolution is the process by which life developed, and we understand how it happened." They can only say, "It looks like evolution is the process by which life developed, based on the knowledge we so far have."
The theory of evolution has mountains of factual evidence to support the claims of how organisms evolve. The soundness of the scientific theory itself is not a noteworthy topic of debate. There are individual assertions which are debated from time to time when new information comes to the surface, but this is the scientific method at its best (it's supposed to work that way).

While the origin of life is one branch of the general theory of evolution, it is based on a great deal of speculation.

I think it is important to note that these are two different branches of the theory of evolution. One is based on overwhelming factual evidence... the other is a purely speculative field and I suspect it will stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
The story of evolution as we've so far contrived it is quite interesting. It includes such notions as the idea that Earth's early atmosphere could never have allowed the species that exist today to survive. That atmosphere was actually changed by the development of early plant life that gradually filled the air with oxygen (and life itself probably barely adapted to that change in time to continue living on this planet at all).
The general theory of evolution is not a story, it is a Scientific Theory. The one branch you are currently talking about is trying to simulate the origin of life and I expect they have a long road ahead of them.

Lord of the Rings, Batman, and the New Testament are stories.