I have noticed that certains terms cause misunderstanding, miscommunications, and often create underlying problems/issue with understanding in conversations within these forums. So for clarity on my part I am putting together some terms that can be taken to mean more than one thing depending on the understanding, beliefs, and experiences of the reader. I am combining a dictionary reference for some of these terms, as well as what I mean when I use the following terms. Hopefully this will reduce some misunderstanding within my posts.
Partner anyone with whom a relationship has passed the getting to know you friend dating stage, and is in the dating as BF/GF, GF/GF stage. (Including NRE times)
dictionary definition - (that pertain to relationships)
1. a person who shares or is associated with another in some action or endeavor; sharer; associate.
2. a spouse; a husband or a wife.
3. the person with whom one cohabits in a romantic relationship
SO (Significant Other, or OSO-Other Significant Other) Any relationship that still exists after the NRE period for both parties in that relationship
1. a person, as a parent or peer, who has great influence on one's behavior and self-esteem.
2. a spouse or cohabiting lover.
Primary any relationship containing major responsibilities to each other. (Examples: shared finances, co-habitation, co-parenting, and other commitments/entanglements). Yes this mean there can be more than one primary relationship/partner, and that a primary relationship does not require co-habitation.
1. first or highest in rank or importance; chief; principal
2. first in order in any series, sequence, etc.
3. first in time; earliest; primitive.
4. constituting or belonging to the first stage in any process.
Marriage includes both legally defined marriage, and non legal long term commitment with or without ceremony; including hand-fasting.
1. a legally, religiously, or socially sanctioned union of persons who commit to one another, forming a familial and economic bond
2. the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock
3. the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of two people to live as a married couple, including the accompanying social festivities
4. a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction
PDA Public display of affection. Public can include just within the view of partners/metamours, in family settings, or out in public locations.
These are the terms that I feel I may use, and have seen be part of misunderstandings in some posts. Any other terms I will offer my meanings as they come up; if I feel its something that posters to this forum relate to in different ways.
Dictionary definitions thanks to: http://dictionary.reference.com/