View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Official Greeter

I think there's a "male meme" that's passed on from one generation to the next, that teaches boys that they must be the tough, silent, competitive type (hence the phrase "pissing contest"). It's a new idea that men can adopt some of the "traditionally feminine traits," such as vulnerability, communicativeness, and cooperation. This idea needs to stick to our society, and women need to be given more of a voice. I do think we're making progress, such as when the U.S. finally decided to let women vote, but will we make enough progress in time to avoid self-destructing ourselves, is my question.

Science and religion could trade in their "pissing contests" for the simple search for truth, and could work together in that search. After all, science can't answer the biggest questions of "Why did the Universe ever exist in the first place," and "Is there something bigger out there?" For example, the mysterious thing called "dark energy" fills most of the Universe, and yet scientists know virtually nothing about it. Could it be that "Spirit World" of which religion so often speaks? Maybe. The point is, there's no need for "science zealots" and "religion zealots" to be at each other's throats. We do, after all, all share the desire to discover the truth. Why not cooperate in that endeavor?

As a "converted atheist," I can testify that being raised in a restrictive church can leave one with a bitter taste in one's mouth. So I sympathize with the "hateful atheists," even while realizing that they don't need to take their crusade that far. There are plenty of people in the church who I still respect very much. They stick to their values and are not dishonest.

As for the "makers of news," whether it be on TV or in magazines, I think those types are often tempted to publish whatever is the most sensational, whatever will excite the general public the most and hence, whatever will "sell the most magazines" or "reap the highest price from advertisers." So the news media often feeds on the conflict of science and religion, and adds fuel to the fire.

The most interesting thing, to me, is to make simple statements about, "Well, this is what's out there," or, "Well, this is what's been said," and accepting that as its own self-defined truth while pondering the possibilities in our own minds. No need to fight over the truth. Instead, we can share the magic of discovery, if we lay the fight aside. Might not sell as many magazines or excite as many advertisers, but it could become a new way of relating to each other that would benefit all.

Is this pretty close to the idea you were getting at?

With plentiful regards,
Kevin T.