View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 AM

Question Why Use The Terms "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" instead of "lover"?

The question is in the title.~

This is some thing that has been bothering me for awhile ever since I learned how to speak, read, and write English growing up and English is my first language as a born & raised American.~

Why use these terms of "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" when referring to "lovers"?~

Let's break it down:

"girl" means a pre-pubescent Human female who has not yet reached sexual maturity and is not yet capable of producing offspring,

"boy" means a pre-pubescent Human male who has not yet reached sexual maturity and is not yet capable of producing offspring,

"friend" means close associate or "companion",

"lover" means "one who loves" who can be involved in a relationship of a romantic nature.~

Wouldn't it logically follow then that referring to one whom you love and are in a romantic relationship with as your "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" is both demeaning of their sexual maturity and their relationship to you?

In case you're wondering I was advised to make this into a separate thread instead of including it in Semantics / Language is Fluid topic also in the Fireplace forum section as this subject was deserving of a thread all its' own.~

I am quite perplexed by this conundrum and I highly desire to discuss the nature of such a concept.~

Please feel free to share your opinions.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-25-2013 at 05:25 AM.