View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 AM

Marcus,
I, too, agree with your post. A lot of people do use words incorrectly. I, also, find language interesting, but I never studied the linguistics aspects of them (just speaking foreign ones lol). I prefer, however, to read body language and micro-expressions. Because language is a form of communication, yes, but without body language and facial expressions a lot can be lost in the communicating of messages. (I just did an essay on this a few weeks ago in a professional communications class lol). It makes it quite difficult with the whole semantics thing I think one example of how semantics can be misunderstood .... (if I'm thinking of semantics correctly???? Can the same word used by 2 different English speaking countries be semantics?) is the use of the word "thong" here in America and the use of the word "thong" as used in Australia. Here it means a certain type of panties, but there it is equivalent to our "flip-flops". I discovered this by way of a hilarious, misunderstood convo with one of my Aussie friends, which, needless to say, led to a lot of confusion on both our parts until it got figured out what the meanings were lmao.
Anyways, yeah, I find it interesting how our English meanings have changed from the time it came here from Europe to what it is now. Also I find amusing that even though English is Germanic in origin, we have a lot of words that are actually from other languages, but a lot of people do not realize it. Such as mosquito (Spanish), pajamas (India? Nepal? One of those places, I forget which one), taboo(Tahiti), so long (Malaysia)..... So, technically our English is no longer the Anglo-Saxon English it once was, but a melting pot of languages :-D Fascinating! But I think I will still stick with learning to speak the languages rather than understanding the semantics of them lol.